Friday, July 20, 2007

John Mayer and Eric Clapton

This summer I've been taking advantage of the many free outdoor events going on in the city. Last month I saw Rihanna perform in Rockefeller Plaza. Last night I saw Horatio Sanz and Rob Riggle host an awesome night of music and comedy in Central Park, featuring Demetri Martin, Reggie Watts, and Slovin and Allen. And this morning I saw John Mayer and Eric Clapton in Bryant Park. I woke up at 7:55, arrived at Bryant Park at 8:10, and only had to wait for 20 minutes until the mini-concert started. He performed "Waiting on the World to Change", "Dreaming with a Broken Heart", and "Vultures". Clapton joined JM for a cover of "Crossroads" by Cream. It was awesome to see Clapton in person, but it went by way too fast. He walked on, sang half of the first verse and a little in the end, wailed on the cleanest solos I've ever heard, and walked off without saying a word. Still- Clapton, for free, blocks from my apartment, I can't complain. Between songs JM kept the crowd entertained, at one point saying "I'd like to take all of you out for an omelette if I can." Before he performed "Vultures", which wasn't part of the GMA broadcast, he said he was going to try a little experiment- to see if he could do one song without guitar face. He was unsuccessful.

2 Comments:

At 7/24/07, 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

15 minutes to get to the John Mayer concert. You need to get that lard out of your pants. I thought everybody in New York walked fast. By the way a little more reporting would be helpful, we tourist need more info and help. Visitors from Topeka

 
At 8/7/07, 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick. I was just searching for stuff on Bryant Park for a university assignment and the photo you took of clapton and mayer came up... I was wondering if I could use it for my assignment?

Hopefully you will reply to this at brianm_1987@hotmail.com

Kind Regards, Brian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home