Friday, September 29, 2006

Wednesday night was a night of many va-jays for me. Well, they weren't personally for me, but you get the point. First at 8 o'clock was Variety Shac's first ever UCB performance. It was a great show, unfortunately not a lot of people were there to witness it. I'm still getting the hang of going to shows that aren't as popular. Normally I have to scout out 2 seats together (when Katie's here (Rest In Fredericksburg)), sometimes even asking people to move over to accomodate us. I instinctively go right for a good seat near the center of the theater, usually sitting right next to a couple, sometimes a performer's parents (Ian Roberts', maybe Shonali's last night), leaving no seat between me and the person next to me. After all, the theater usually fills up, so we're gonna all be crammed together anyway. Which made it awkward last night when the theater never filled up. And I had 3 empty seats on the other side of me. Could I have moved over, you ask? Yes. Would it have made it more awkward to move though, you add? Yeah, probably. Anyway, the show was great.

Later that night I met my friend Amar in the West Village to go to the
comedy cellar. We utilized an awesome deal that they have hidden on their site that eliminates the $10 cover. So for 2 drinks (and if you're really frugal like me you get $3 lemonades) you can see a lot of comedy for a little money. We went for Sarah Silverman, who was amazing. I took a 9 minute long video of her act on my camera but apparently it's too big to upload to my computer. Hopefully I'll figure out some way to put it up. Because you really should see what a smooth talker she is ("I'm not a racist, I dated a Mexican... And they're filthy!"). Dave Attell also had a tight set last night, but he's there every night, so it's a little less special. The surprises of the night were special guest sets by Darrell Hammond and Dane Cook. Both were very much on their game. Darrell was also on something else. Vicodin (with a legitimate reason). To see him do Bill Clinton was pretty neat. And say what you want about Dane Cook, but he was funny last night. I know it's cool to hate him. I've been to a number of shows in NY where his name has come up and the entire audience booed. I've even been to a few shows where a certain SNL cast member (who will remain nameless) has mocked him on stage, hair gel and "pop culture reference" t-shirt and all. But the man was on last night. He did an almost entirely new set and still killed. Now, if you know the make-up of the comedy cellar audience you know that Dane Cook could have read "the O'Reilly Factor for Kids!" and still killed, but you can't hold that against him. Guidos just love him. Deal with it. I've added the only pic I could snap last night after using 99% of my memory for Sarah Silverman. He's doing a bit about friends who love to be the first to call you and tell you someone famous died. This is one of those "you had to be there" moments we hear so widely discussed. After the show Amar and I shared a moment, when we saw subway crates filled with trash going to our hometown, Norfolk (ORF).

5 Comments:

At 9/29/06, 2:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take ORF

 
At 10/1/06, 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Patrick, can you email me? This site has been a spectacular read. theapiary@gmail.com

 
At 10/2/06, 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew Dane Cook Clay?

 
At 10/2/06, 10:18 PM, Blogger patrick said...

easy there anonymous... let's keep it that way...

 
At 10/6/06, 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boodley Doodley (fart noise) and this guy's like (elephant noise).

{falls down, pulls at shirt}

You ladies know what I'm talking about!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home