Thursday, February 08, 2007

Julian Beever in Union Square

Anyone one who reads their Myspace bulletins or has a mass e-mail-sending friend is familiar with the art of Julian Beever. He's the sidewalk artist who creates incredible, 3-D paintings using only chalk.
I've been an admirer of his work for several years now, so imagine my excitement when I found out he was coming to NYC to paint the "Fountain of Youth" in Union Square. The official unveiling was January 25, but as Time Out NY said, it would be on display until March 29. "March 29th", I said to myself, "that's a long time for a chalk drawing to survive. They must have some special, all-weaher chalk and high tech sealants to preserve something like this for so long. I'll wait one week and check it out with my family. That'll show them what NYC's all about!"

A week later we went to Union Square to check it out. After an exhaustive walk through the farmer's market, we finally found the amazing "Fountain of Youth." I guess you see where this is going.

I haven't been this dissapointed since the (sports team) lost the (sports championship).
No, since visiting Williamsburg, Brooklyn for the first time.
Wait, since seeing Mr. Wrong in the theater.
Nay, since the day I found out Jesus isn't real.

4 Comments:

At 2/8/07, 9:59 PM, Blogger ERIC SHACKLE said...

Hi Patrick. Greetings from Sydney, Australia.

You may like to read a story I wrote about Julian Beever in The World's First Multi-National e-Book, http://www.bdb.co.za/shackle/articles/union_square.htm

Best wishes, Eric.

 
At 2/9/07, 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I got excited as I'll be in NY this week...good thing I saw those pictures...I think I'll be skipping that now.

 
At 2/20/07, 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

walter, what email are you using?
z

 
At 4/1/07, 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Katie are always on the move. Sounds like you have taken NY by storm. It's fun to read about Jon Stewart ( Did he graduatr from William and Mary? )and the Guttenberg Musical but I think your followers want to hear more about Chickpea.Can you tell us more about one of NY Cities newest residents ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home