Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Lessons from Kirk Cameron

For years the stereotype of the arrogant, overbearing Christian has made it hard for good people like Kirk Cameron to get their message across. In this week’s installment of “The Way of the Master,” Kirk and Ray Comfort attempt to break that nasty stereotype.


First, Kirk talks about the frustration of communicating with non-believers.




“I used to wait for unsaved people to bring up the subject of God for us. What I mean is this, sometimes I just look at them with all the peace I could muster and hope that they just saw that I had something in my eyes that they didn’t have and ask me, ‘What is it that makes you different?’ Well, I don’t know about you, but I waited a long, long time and often people would never ask! And so I just chalk it up to, well, I guess it’s just not the right time for them to hear about the Gospel, and hope they didn’t get hit by a car the next day.”


Then, in a scary segue, Kirk and Ray get in a car and hunt for atheists.




“You know there’s so many people walking up and down the streets as we drive around, and uh, I can’t help but think of how many of these people are not saved, and are actually going to be spending eternity in hell. And uh, man, it’s like having the cure for a disease that’s deadly. And if we don’t go give the cure to them, it’s immoral! It’s, it’s, it’s unthinkable!”


Seconds later:




“Let’s go to the drive-thru. We can hand out (Gospel) tracks that way too.”


In a callback to his acting days, Kirk captures the true spirit of atheists everywhere in a poignant role-playing activity.

Kirk: “Alright, so I’m going to be your average atheist. I’m going to be your atheist buddy named Bob at your work… so I’m atheist Bob. Now you go through these principles with me.”
Ray Comfort: “Okay, we’ll start off with natural love. Hey Bob, how are you doing?”
Kirk: “Hey, um, I’m doing great. Excuse me while I have a smoke.”



Finally, Kirk leaves non-believers with an inspirational message.



“People have come up and said, ‘I’ve gone to church for years and I’ve never understood why Jesus died on a cross or why it was important that I believed in Jesus.’ But once they understand that they have lied, and stolen, and looked with lust, making them lying, thieving, adulterers at heart, they suddenly see that they’re guilty before God.”





“The thing that I don’t want to do is I don’t want to come across like some sort of a religious weirdo or a fanatic, because there’s plenty of those people around, and you don’t take them seriously. So, while I feel like standing on top of a building and screaming to everybody, ‘Get your hearts right with God! There’s coming a day in which he’ll judge the Lord of Righteousness!’ I know that that will only make me come off like a fanatic.”



Kirk Cameron, everybody.

4 Comments:

At 10/25/06, 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i see that video anywhere?

 
At 10/27/06, 12:48 AM, Blogger patrick said...

you tube has some great videos.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+way+of+the+master+kirk+cameron

 
At 10/27/06, 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kirkcameron.com

 
At 10/27/06, 1:10 PM, Blogger patrick said...

kirkcameron.com, wow! just hearing that song makes me want to burn my sam harris books and accept jesus into my heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home