Sunday, December 03, 2006

Constantine

Family and friends came to visit me this weekend and I surprised my mom with a couple of tickets to "Martin Short: Fame Becomes Me." We had a great time, as we are both uber Martin Short fans. But as we left the theater, I saw something interesting. A young girl, probably 14 or 15 years old, walked by with a big, baggy, Pray for the Soul of Betty sweatshirt on. This, of course, is the catchy name of former American Idol Constantine Maroulis's former band. I was tipped off that it was indeed Pray for the Soul of Betty merchandise by the fact that the lettering was as large as Wham's "Choose Life" messages. Clearly, Pray for the Soul of Betty fans are a proud bunch. I pointed the sweatshirt out to my mom and noticed that the girl was heading across the street to the Al Hirschfeld Theatre, where Constantine is finishing up his run in "The Wedding Singer." It was only 4 in the afternoon, but she was clearly not straying too far from her idol.

Later that night, my mom and her friends went from restaurant to restaurant trying to find a place to eat. They learned that my neighborhood is the worst place to try to find a table between 6 and 7, because it's packed with theater-goers who are desparately trying to grab a quick, $100 meal before seeing a nice, $250 show. I tried to offer some places in other neighborhoods that we could go, places where I could get a substantial meal, but I was quickly rejected ("We just had vegetarian for brunch, I can't have it again for dinner"). I tried to explain that "vegetarian" can't be singled out as a food style, as it is far too broad, but I had no luck with this crowd. So while they hopped from restaurant to restaurant, unable to find a place with a wait time of less than an hour, I went home, watched Cheap Seats, and ate a leftover burrito. When they finally got a seat somewhere, at a place on Ninth Ave., I left to meet them.

As I got to Ninth Ave., I crossed to the East side of it, like I usually do, figuring the restaurant was on that side. I was wrong. So wrong. But I now realize why God sent me across the street that night. As I was walking between 46th and 45th street, I passed a long haired man who looked familiar. I knew exactly who it was. Constantine Maroulis. We made eye contact and he gave me one of those looks that said, "Yeah, you know me." It was that very same luring gaze that captured the hearts of tweens all across this great nation. I just kept walking, aware that a high kick from him could land me in the hospital for a couple of weeks. But I wondered what that girl I saw earlier would do if she was in my position. What Would The Girl In The Pray For The Soul Of Betty Sweatshirt Do? So the next time you see a rock idol, nay!, a rock GOD walking down the street, ask yourself, WWTGITPFTSOBSD?

10 Comments:

At 12/3/06, 4:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What would I do? Thank Constantine for the joy he continues to bring his fans and wish him well on his ambitious eclectic career. Still love him madly!

 
At 12/3/06, 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that look all too well! I had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Maroulis at the Greek Festival in Dallas. He held my hand for just a few seconds as he sang a verse to "Girl Like You". I looked straight into those eyes and he was looking in mine. It was just too much! I had to turn away or make a fool of myself by passing out! The man really knows how to please a crowd and once you look into those eyes you will never forget the experience. Magical and electrifying!

 
At 12/3/06, 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been on the receiving end of that "look" more than once. It takes your breath away. He knows what his audience wants and leaves them wanting more. Can't wait for my next encounter.

 
At 12/3/06, 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that look is not "Yeah, you know me". I think the look is "Yeah, you know me AND you want to fuck me".

Lucky you are vegetarian.

 
At 12/3/06, 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll never forget the first time I met Constantine; when we were introduced, he looked down from his 6'3 vantage point and shyly waited for me to say something ..anything ..but I couldn't squeak out even a 'hello'. I think he's used to the reaction by now.
At the Wedding Singer stage door, he is STILL shy, and still gorgeous.

 
At 12/3/06, 6:38 PM, Blogger Mer said...

Remember that fateful night in your house when I was like "dudes, don't worry constantine is S-afe" and not a second later, Seacrest(out) said those words that will live in infamy. If it is any consultation, when I went to Idols Live 2005, Constantine received the biggest cheers/screams/faints from the audience (but not from me. Remember, I was a Baby V fan).

 
At 12/4/06, 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL....I've walked by him before and yep...it's a combination of "you know me" and "you want to fuck me".

I just nod and move on...BTDT!!!! heehee....

 
At 12/6/06, 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky you! Loved your story! Constantine Maroulis has changed the lives of many women! We can't let a single day go by without discussing him! He has completely taken over our lives. Thanks for the cute Con story! We can NEVER read enough stories about Him. Yes, we love him soooooo very much!

Rori

 
At 1/5/07, 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a combination of yeah you know me, you want to fuck me and I'm just slightly too good for you. Been there, done that.

 
At 11/3/08, 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEA DATS EXACTLY IT LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home